Thursday, March 5, 2009

Retired teacher/administrator

I was really pleased with the information I learned from Mr. Chambliss in class. He had a lot of really interesting and important information to share with us seeing as he was both an educator and an administrator, and I feel like his advice will definitely be a service to me in my future career choices. I also found it very comforting that he had such high regard for liberal arts educated teachers becasue as a student of a liberal arts college, I know the valuse of this type of education, but I wasn't sure if other people could see the positives. Another thing that I found to be very helpful was his advice on when we should take our GRE exam. My sister just took the GRE this semester which made me start wondering about when I needed to take the test myself. His advice for us to become leaders in our new environments/workplaces will be extremely benficial to . I did have a slight issue with his notion that you shouldn't do the same thing for an extended period of time because as a music educator, its not as if you can just change the subject you teach whenever you want. I do think that it is important to change the ways you go about intsructing your students however, because there is never one way of teaching that will appeal to every student in your class at the same time. Reinventing yourself and your practices will ultimately keep both you and your students interested in what you are working towards.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you about the issue about his opinions about changing where you are teaching. As music educators especially in a high school setting a program that sees a lot of turnover in teachers usually is not very good and suffers because of it, where as a program that has a teacher who has been at the school for 5 years or so can really turn around a program. However, you can also run into problems with teachers after they retire because the person who replaces may want to add things or take things away from a curriculum and then you have to deal with students who don't want the change and are constantly comparing the new director to the old director.

    ReplyDelete