Monday, May 4, 2009

The Great Cell Phone Debate

Technological advances are constantly changing the way we interact with the world and the people around us. One of the biggest technological revolutions that I have seen happen in my lifetime is the growth of cellular phone technology and popularity. I remember when my Mother got my family's first cell phone back in 1996. He phone was one of those huge Motorola phones that resembled a brick. We all thought it was really exciting to be able to call anyone from seemingly anywhere in the local area we wanted. Of course in those days, the coverage area was small, the price wasn't cheap, and the reception was horrible. Fast forward to the summer of 2006, this is when I got my first cell phone. In those 10 years almost everything had changed. Most of my high school friends had their own cell phones, texting was all the rage, and you could go almost anywhere and still have cell phone reception. Having my own phone was an extremely liberating feeling because I could call anyone I wanted, whenever I wanted, and I didn't have to worry about being stranded anywhere because I would always be able to get a hold of someone if I needed anything. Sure my parents could also call me and check up on me whenever they felt the need, but that didn't bother me much. I do have to say that compared to my friends, I was more of a rule follower during school itself. I never texted during class, and my phone was always on silent, and in my backpack. It definitely was a common occurrence to see my peers texting under the table, trying to hide the phone from the sight if the teacher. Obviously, that exact action is one of the detriments that teachers today have to suffer in the classroom at the hands of technology. However, I have never actually seen (or heard of anyone) cheating by using their cellphone during an actual test. I find that topic to be severely overplayed even though I sure it has been done by someone. Personally, I have a problem with the ages that children are now receiving their first cell phones. I didn't have a phone until I was a senior in High School, but there are children out there that are getting a phone while in second grade. I can not find one logical reason for an 8 year old child to have a phone of their own. Sure, parents may want to know where their children are if something important arises, but where is an 8 year old going to be if not at home or school? An overall summary of my thought on cellphones would resemble this: cellphones are very convienient and helpful to have, epecially at high school age or beyond, but anyone younger than that should probably go without.

No comments:

Post a Comment