Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Brain Development Presentation

I really enjoyed the brain development presentation that we saw at the Decorah Middle School. I was kind of skeptical before the presenter started her presentation just because it seemed like it was going to be terribly cliché. Throughout middle school and high school, there were countless health classes and seminars that constantly harped the message that alcohol was bad, and that we should look down upon it and never drink ourselves. I have always been against kids drinking because I do think that drinking before you are fully developed (physically and emotionally) is a horrible idea because of the ramifications of interrupting the growing process. Thankfully, our presenter was able to keep my interest because of the quality and informative nature of the information she was presenting. I, like many in our class, was really intrigued by the fact that there is supposedly a large spike in brain developmental activity around the ages of 14-15. I also really enjoyed the way our presenter led the demonstration. I definitely think that she was a little unorthodox at times, and some catch phrases she said still crack me up to this day, but I feel like she was very effective at retaining my attention even though her slideshow was distracting at times. I really liked the fact that there was a handout that corresponded with the presentation too because it definitely kept our minds on the subject at hand. Overall I am happy that we took the day off from class and went to the seminar instead becasue it definitely was worth while, and it was also nice to change up the normal format of our Monday evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment