Monday, May 11, 2009

The Lost Generation?

I have mixed feelings about the Lost Generation video that I recently watched for Ed Psych. I can't say that it really talked about new issues with our society today... I understand what the video was trying to portray, it not like it wasn't blunt enough. I do not agree with every element of the video though. There was a portion of the video that brought up environmental issues in our world, and on the first run through the list it made it seem like my generation is unconcerned about the environment and our impact on changing our harmful practices. I feel like there is a lot more to be done before we are even close to resolving the current day environmental issues, but I really do believe that my generation is very concerned about what is going on with our planet today. My generation has a considerable amount of issues, and some of them that have never been this debilitating before. However, we aren't necessarily a lost cause. Look back to the last Presidential election in this country. In the past it has always been understood that the elderly population has had the largest voice and weight on who was going to be elected President of the United States, but this last election saw an unprecedented rise in young (college aged) voters. If this doesn't show people that we are indeed concerned with the direction of our country I don't know what will. I also feel like my generation is one of the most accepting generations this country has ever had. We have had to deal with issues that were near non-existent in previous generations, such as the expanse on communicative technology. Never before has there been such a connected generation, and even though there are some major downsides to this fact, there are also numerous advantages to be had. I believe that my generation will be able to achieve great things, but there are problems that need to be solved now before we can live up to our full potentials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA

No comments:

Post a Comment